Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    Centurion Lounge Miami

    March 27, 2016 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 26 °C

    Our long awaited honeymoon is finally here! It requires so much elaborate planning and mileage mining that consumed us almost a year to pull the trigger.

    The first destination is Bolivia's capitol La Paz. Day 0 is basically all flying. We managed to make it much easier with lounge access and first class cabin. Many of you questioned how I managed to do these, so here are some strategies to share.

    We fly first class on American Airline from SFO to LPB all by miles. I actually don't remember how many miles were needed when we booked back in August, but it was something like 65,000 miles each way. However, La Paz isn't a typical destination for most Americans; there is no direct flight from the West Coast. We need to stop at LAX and MIA.

    Fortunately, we are able to do some lounge hopping. At SFO, because we are first class passengers, we can enjoy a simple continental breakfast the the Admiral Club. It isn't spectacular, but it is a 7am flight so we are fine with something simple. Alternatively, this lounge can be accessed using Citi Prestige card with a same day AA ticket.

    We are lucky to be allowed in the Oneworld Business Lounge at LAX. Typically, they only allow those with Platinum status with same day tickets on AA to use their facility, but they make an exception for us. The lounge is probably the largest one I have been to, with full food bar and multiple beverage areas. The fire pit is gorgeous.

    At MIA, we have 3 hours to spend at the American Express Centurion Lounge. We use the Amex Platinum card to get in. Every time I am at the Centurion, I am tempted to use their shower room, which is always fully equipped with amenities. At this lounge I also get a complimentary chair massage session!

    The flight from LAX to MIA is a 777-300ER. The first class cabin has 8 seats, which is takes up about the space of 30+ economy seats. My wife Sandy complains that I am too far away! We receive a 4-course meal that consists of crab and lobster. Although the seat reclines only about 150 degrees, it is partially made up by an attentive flight attendant who looks like a young version of Steve Carell!

    Everything I mentioned above, including lounge access, food, beverage, and the flight tickets, is almost free using points and miles.

    Now flying is easy. In the next few hours, I will need to tackle the biggest challenge of this trip - to get admitted into Bolivia. As a British National Overseas, it is unclear if a visa is needed, or if it can be done on entry... Worst case scenario is that I will be denied entry and we will have to fly to Santiago, Chile instead...
    Read more