Satellite
Mostra sulla mappa
  • Giorno 11

    Bergamo

    4 maggio, Italia ⋅ ☁️ 16 °C

    Bergamo - I'm on top of the world or
    5 trains in one day!
    An early start to get to station for an 8 am train. A change at Milan onto a Trenord train ( looked like a new type and very comfy and roomy) for Bergamo.
    From the station we could get a bus up to the Città Alta (upper town) which looked like it was in the clouds from the new Città Bassa. A fabulous trip up the winding road. There were lots of people and lots of cyclists when we got to the top.
    We had a picnic lunch in a little park before wandering along the narrow 'street' ( found out later it was the Roman road!) to the main piazza - filled with cafes and people. It is relatively small but very imposing.The Cathedral and other buildings in the piazza are amazing. Derek and I walked on while Judith took the opportunity to sit and people watch. At the funicular station we found a cafe on the edge of the precipice with amazing views. Couldn't help but stop for a coffee.
    We took the funicular down enjoyingbthe views of the steep terrain and Plains spending out before us.
    We left J at bus stop while D&I walked back to station. A brief period of alarm when we didn't find her waiting for us or anywhere in sight! Ended happily though after she had her own adventure on the bus!
    Train to Brescia, where we had to change for Iseo.
    Trip to Iseo was lovely passing lots of vineyards of the famous Franciacorta wine region - specialising in the lovely Franciacorta sparkling wines ( more upmarket than Prosecco!)
    Got to Iseo about 7.30 and what should've been a short walk took longer so it was after 8 when we arrived in delightful apartment with balcony overlooking ancient church and lovely garden. Luckily we had armed ourselves with beer and snacks so we could enjoy the mild evening and view. We left seeing the lake till the morning.
    Leggi altro