Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Flinders Rangers

    September 27, 2022 in Australia ⋅ 🌙 10 °C

    We headed into Port Augusta shops today to pick up some supplies. I got my USB laptop charger from Big W, and we got Aslan a blanket. They had three in the store, not a huge selection. I suppose with the heat they don’t get many customers. Aslan slept well in the roof top tent but felt a little cold, so we got the blanket, so he was comfortable. I was ok, but I was below in the vehicle.

    Lot of people are talking about the car, the setup, and taking photos on how cool it is. It was enjoyable talking to everyone, doing laundry, on where they have been and where they are going. Great suggestions on what to do, and what to see.

    I got a tyre looked at as it looked a little down, it wasn’t down just a lot of weight on it, with fully loaded van and fuel so the guy recommended 43 PSI instead of 40 PSI, to cater for the fuel/load.

    We drop to the Flinders ranges which was close to a 3-hour drive to Aroona Campground. Pictures attached. Beautiful drive in, wild purple flowers, emus walking around and definitely 4wd territory and we had fun getting into the site few small river crossings and rough terrain.

    It is dead quiet, and we have it to ourselves. I set up the portable toilet as we couldn’t be assed walking up to the drop toilets. It’s hot, and there are flies so we are in the van. We had our first moment of errr, home is so much easier this afternoon, so we took a nap and feel a heap better. I know it’s the shock to both of us, from home comforts to road lack of comforts and hard work, but we are explorers, so we go on with vigour.

    In fact, as it cooled down Aslan and I took some great photos, and really enjoyed ourselves in the wild. We ride the emotions.

    Tonight, we had pasta for dinner, ones I cooked before I left, and we are heading to Farina Sheep station for a night there tomorrow and get the Drone out (can’t run the drone in South Australia in national parks). After that we head to Coward Springs two nights, it has hot springs so that will be interesting as we mosey up to Coober Pedy. We plan to do two nights in Coober Pedy in an underground place and then plan our trip from there.
    Read more