Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 32

    Gnowangerup

    October 26, 2022 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 11 °C

    We are now on the way back home to Victoria. We have 3500 km to travel. So, the first trip was from Perth to Gnowangerup. This is a small town 4.5 hours southeast of Perth and is a great halfway point between Perth and Esperance. Most of the land is farming, natural bush and s few mining sites.

    We setup camp using a Hip camp, which is where people who have large areas of land let you camp on their properties for around $20. The place we stayed at was 4WD country. We went through mud and sand, to get to the location which was loads of fun. The site was a 20-metre square area cut down within the bush/farming land probably 400 acres, with great nights skies and peace and quiet. The owners who showed us to the site, have two farms, and they use a small plane to fly between the two farms and its quicker then driving.

    There was no phone signal, but we had the Star link Dish which fixed that. I have to say the Landcruiser, is not only an awesome vehicle for what we have put it through but well kitted out. For instance, getting water, or cooking dinner, there is tables and workspace everywhere. I must do a few mods when I get back, but they are so minor. For a first fit out we did well.

    We packed up our camp and had a 4-hour drive to Esperance. The road is tarred but rough, lots of washed-out sections. From here we are camping on a beach called Lucky Bay, about an hour out of Esperance for a few nights. Weather looks wet and windy, so we will see how we go there for those two nights.

    From there we head back to Esperance on Monday and then do the trip over the Nullarbor again. At least we have some great spots saved which we will stay there again.

    The animal death toll on our trip so far is 2 birds (must have thought I was Danni), 1 big lizard who I drove my front wheels either side of him, so he didn't get hit then he ran when he saw there was a car shadow driving over him and then we heard a gadoonk on the bag wheels, and 4 million moths/bugs. May they rest in pieces.
    Read more