Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 34

    Vega de Valcarce

    October 8, 2022 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 75 °F

    After putting in a 20 mile day yesterday, we had a much shorter walk into Vega de Valcarce. The town looks to be a bit more upscale with nice, well cared for homes. Even though it is small, there are 3 banks. Considering many villages don’t have a bank, I think that says something 😂.

    The walk in reminded us of the Columbia River Gorge in Oregon. The air was moist and cool, everything was green, and it was just peaceful. It was a big change to some of the busy road walking we did yesterday.

    It is Saturday and with the short 11 mile walk, it feels like a day off. We actually took a siesta for the first time. Speaking of time, it has been an adjustment. We have learned that during Franco’s reign he set the time zone to Central European time, as he didn’t get along with the British, even though Spain is west of England. This explains why the sun doesn’t come up until around 8:30am!

    Tomorrow we have the second highest climb of the trip, so a quiet day should prep us well. We will likely start off early, about 7am, so we only have an hour and a half in the dark 😂.

    Buen Camino
    Read more