Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Lima - Pachacamac Archaeological Site

    October 23, 2021 in Peru ⋅ ⛅ 64 °F

    Today we took a half-day private tour to Pachacamac, about 20 miles south of downtown Lima. Pachacamac was a pilgrimage site dating from pre-Incan times, beginning around 200 AD. Representatives from distant areas would come to consult the oracle at the temple about agricultural prospects, natural disasters, etc. As time went on and cultures faded and new ones took their place, more and more administrative buildings and dwellings were built and existing structures enlarged.

    By the time the Incas arrived and occupied Pachacamac (around 1450 AD) the city was so powerful that the Incas feared to tamper with the religious beliefs of the population. Even though it was unusual for them, the Inca allowed the god Pacha Kamaq to co-exist along their own sun god Inti.

    The Incas built two more pyramid temples on the site — the Pyramids of the Sun and Moon. The Inca Trail passes through here and is part of a road system built from Columbia to Santiago, Chile, for the purpose of expanding their empire through commerce and military activities.

    The site is vast and only a fraction of it has been excavated. Our guide was excellent and shared so much knowledge about the archaeological site and about Lima and Peru in general. We really enjoyed our time with Saul from Haka Tours.

    When we got back to our hotel neighborhood we got some typical Lima fare for lunch — ceviche for Diane (not as good as yours, Nance!), and shrimp chaufa (like fried rice). Since it’s Saturday, many families were enjoying Kennedy Park, in honor of JFK (not sure why). The sign at the park said he was regarded as an icon of American hopes and aspirations.
    Read more