Satellite
Afficher sur la carte
  • Jour 11

    Exploring around Tronador

    8 janvier 2022, Argentine ⋅ ☀️ 73 °F

    This morning we were ferried across the lake in a small motorboat, first with a stop to drop off a cooler of food and beach chairs(!) for our picnic lunch later. Then we continued on down the lake to be dropped off at a trailhead. This trail was originally built by the pioneering grandfather of our hotel hosts, for the purpose of driving his cattle to market in Bariloche.

    We walked a lupine-lined trail through the forest, following the lakeshore for about 2 hours, with frequent glimpses of Tronador through the trees. When we arrived at our lunch spot, the chilly lake water was beckoning us on this warm and sunny day. Adventure levels ranged from full plunges to toe-dipping.

    We enjoyed our steak sandwiches and potato quiche (made with French fries—it felt like we should have been in Pittsburgh!), fresh fruit and lemon bars in the shade.

    After our respite, the four Ziters headed to some pools and a walk around the lake back to the hotel, and we hiked up to Castillo (castle) Rojo, an outcropping of red rock with a view over the valley that was spectacular. At the far end of the valley was our old friend Tronador, which means ‘thunder,’ named for the sound of falling glacier. No thunder while we were visiting.

    With the radio provided to us, we called for our boat shuttle when we arrived back down from the climb.
    En savoir plus