Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 14

    Florence: Uffuzi Gallery and a Bike Ride

    April 13, 2023 in Italy ⋅ ☁️ 57 °F

    A three-hour train ride yesterday brought us to Florence from Naples. Our first stop today was to the Uffuzi Gallery, which houses works of art from the Italian Renaissance period. The building began as administrative offices for the ruling Medici family dating from the 16th century. The top floor of the museum also has some wonderful views out over the city.

    We continued with the theme of views by renting e-bikes to get out of the city and into the hills above town. It was a bit tense getting out of Florence by bike—narrow roads and a fair amount of traffic, but there were some protected bike lanes, and eventually we got into quiet country roads.

    Our ride took us past Villa Gamberaia, which Erin visited during her Rome study abroad. Her drawing of the site hangs in Diane’s parents’ home. Unfortunately, we didn’t have enough time to go in and visit, but the grounds from the very small lane were very scenic!

    Florence is a nice change from Naples—cleaner streets and fewer honking cars and motorcycles. Our apartment is just about on the Arno River, and a stone’s throw from the Ponte Vecchio—the oldest bridge in Florence. The bridge is lined with old wooden jewelry shops, still in operation.
    Read more