Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 20

    Onward to the Tuscan Countryside

    April 19, 2023 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 66 °F

    Last night our Bay Area friends, Mike and Sondra arrived to Siena, and today we set off to stay in Montepulciano for four nights. The point-to-point drive would have been less than two hours, but we stopped for views and visits to points of interest, and made a day of it.

    Our drive took us into a geographical region known as the Crete Senesi. It is an area with white clay soil, which during dry times can give it a barren look, dotted by the occasional cypress trees and olive groves. At this time of year (or maybe this wet year in particular), we saw rolling green hills with blotches of white clay.

    We stopped in a couple of medieval towns —Buonconvento and Asciano—to look around. In the first, we got lunch at a rather nondescript cafe, which turned out to be one that President Obama and his family had visited! The chef and staff were so pleased—they showed us photos and even had a menu item named after Obama. Nearby Asciano we toured an abbey that was founded in 1313. Sondra had read about their beautiful inlaid wood panels, so we knew we had to check them out. Everything in the abbey has been beautifully restored (or maintained?)—colorful frescoes, ceiling ornamentation, and the wine cellars. We had a nice discussion with the cellar master and picked out a bottle to share when we get to our Airbnb later in the trip.
    Read more