Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 25

    Cinque Terre: Riomaggiore to Manarola

    April 24, 2023 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 63 °F

    We’re in Riomaggiore—the southernmost of the five towns of the picturesque Cinque Terre, on the seacoast.

    We’ve been wondering whether Liberation Day was shifted from Tuesday to Monday to allow for a long weekend, because the crowds were insane. Just a continuous line of hikers on the trail from our town to the next one to the north—Manarola.

    The trail was only a few miles, but the two towns are separated by a mountain and it was a very steep climb up stone stairs and pathways, and then a corresponding descent into the village on the coast. Grapes and olives are grown on nearly every available patch of land with terracing.

    Normally there is a nice flat trail between the villages, but it was destroyed in a landslide in 2012 and is still being rebuilt. The views from the top were spectacular, even with the crowds.

    Getting back to Riomaggiore on the train was a complete zoo, and the group got separated and wound up taking separate trains back. We’re in an Airbnb very close to the train station, which is convenient, but a bit noisy (not too bad, though).
    Read more