Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Blue City and Green Mountains

    February 15 in Morocco ⋅ ☁️ 64 °F

    Our guide Ali took us around the winding pedestrian streets of old town Chefchaouen, pointing out the highlights and history of the city.

    The city was founded in the late 1400s as a fortress to defend against attacks from Portuguese forces. Not long after, it received an influx of Jews escaping the Spanish inquisition, who brought a tradition of painting buildings blue. It is said that the color mirrors the sky and reminds them of God. Helpfully, the blue color keeps the area cooler and deters mosquitoes. We’re here in winter so heat and bugs aren’t a concern.

    Ali was very proud of his city for its local crafts and community feeling. Several wood-fired bakeries offered baking services to residents who bring their bread dough. We saw rug and blanket weavers at work, and women selling their produce on the streets. We also learned that public education is free for children from age 3 through university, although private schools are also available.

    Throughout the day, we heard the calls to prayer from the loudspeakers on the surrounding mosques (5 times a day). Ali pointed out that going to prayer is not compulsory in Morocco (unlike in Saudi Arabia, he would say).

    Later we took a 5-mile hike up into the Rif Mountains in Talassemtane National Park, less than an hour away from Chefchaouen. The park was only established 20 years ago, so it is dotted with long-standing small villages (and some of their accompanying trash). The views from our very steep climb were well worth the effort!
    Read more