Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Ronda: A ‘Gorges’ City

    March 13 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 63 °F

    Yesterday’s drive brought us to Ronda, a charming town in a dramatic setting on top of an escarpment, with a lush green valley below. Not only that, but a deep river gorge divides the old and new parts of the town. This was our favorite town of this trip so far because of its unique geography and scenery.

    An excellent local guide, born and still living in Ronda, walked us through the narrow streets and down, down to what’s left of the old Arab baths. The thermal baths are the best preserved of their kind to be found in the Iberian Peninsula, according to the sign there. They are divided into three main zones: cold, warm and hot, following the Roman model. The old hydraulic system remains almost intact (waterwheel, pipes, boiler, etc.).

    From below the village we got a different view of the Puente Nuevo — the “new” bridge that dates from 1793 and spans the 400 foot deep gorge. Underneath this Roman-style bridge is the old 15th century bridge and the still older Moorish bridge, providing access to a former Muslim palace built into the cliff.

    Ronda is noted for having the oldest bull fighting ring in Spain. The town still hosts two bull fights each year. There is a museum in the bullring that explains about the “Real Maestranza De Caballería De Ronda,” Spain’s oldest and most noble order of horsemanship in Spain since 1485 (Spanish inquisition times).

    The day wrapped up with an evening concert by a female flamenco guitarist and composer who performed a range of classical and modern flamenco styles.
    Read more