Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Day 8: Cheers to Chengdu!

    June 5, 2017 in China ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    Arrived at 2.30 not too weary after 30 hours in transit. Was welcomed by our new guide, Xaio. Had a quick freshen up and got ready for the opera. First mandarin lesson, Emma's favourite word was 'shomaw' meaning panda, Gill's was 'mimi' meaning secret, which she will use in future when somebody tries to guess her age.

    At tea time, despite the mandarin lesson still had to point at all Chinese menu. Managed to order delicious beef curry and thank the non English speaking waitress in Chinese.

    Spent the evening at Sichuan opera, famous for changing faces and spitting fire. It did not disappoint, we found it interesting to see the theatrical side of traditional Chinese culture. Jasmine tea and popcorn included.

    Ended the night with a beautiful stroll by the river, which at 11pm was still buzzing with joggers, buskers and break dancers. Mandatory holiday ice cream and a few snaps by the beautiful Anshun bridge.

    Gill says Caris and Jenni would love the designer shops and cool vibe of Chengdu. Emma says as not seen a McDonald's or KFC yet not sure about Ben.

    Gill & Em x

    P.S Emma is struggling to contain excitement for PANDAS tomorrow!!!
    Read more