Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Day 9: 20,000 panda steps around Chengdu

    June 6, 2017 in China ⋅ ⛅ 29 °C

    ...and 20,000 more in the club.
    Up bright and early to see the pandas! They did not disappoint. Of the 2000 giant pandas in existence Chengdu breeding center is home to around 80, including a month old baby (see unbelievably cute photo). Gill liked the red pandas best due to their 'beautiful ginger colouring'. They were more like Chinese Foxes really.

    Swift lunch followed by an afternoon exploring Chengdu museum and People's park. The park had things you'd expect to see in a park - boating lake and ice cream sellers, but also the unexpected - amusement arcade and a 'date market'. Prospective parents of, or singles themselves printed their bios and lined a portion of the path. Although our desirable pale skin attracted much interest, unfortunately none were tall enough for Gill. We laughed when a mother came and took an advert away as we were reading it...She obviously didn’t want her son dating a western women!

    Sichuan hot pot for tea, and the supposedly mild and flavoursome broth had our eyes running in minutes. As recommended by Xiao (our guide), tried an array of meat and veg including cow stomach, goat, 'Chinese ham' (spam), meatballs and bamboo. The free ice cream and fruit helped cool us down! It was an experience! Gill not sure she'd do it again, Emma on the other hand will 'try owt once' (except dog). Marissa and Jordan not too keen...

    Despite being tired, we wanted to make the most of our last night in Chengdu.
    Emma: “we wont stay out too late, just go for a look and one drink....”
    Gill: “Lets just go out and see what happens....”
    After Emma sipping and Gill necking plum wine with Xiao, we said goodnight to our travel companions and headed out to explore the bars and clubs of Lankuifong. Had the best night in Jellyfish - fueled by beer tokens, free shots and shared fruit platters with our new friends, we were first on the dance floor! Great music - dancey mixes of old and new and bartenders very entertaining hanging from the roof making drinks and blowing fire! Also free bunny ears and light rings were fun, and spent a grand total of 80p all night...on the taxi ride back at 3am!
    Read more