Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Out of control fire in camping

    July 19, 2021 in Slovakia ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    Our goal was to get to Slovakia the same day. We managed to find a camping and pitch our tent just as it started raining. The camping had hosted a 4 day music festival, and it really looked like it. There were yellow grass spots where all the tents had been and lots of trash bags gathered together in several spots.
    The hosts explained this was the night the organizers and volunteers would have their party and that we were not about to have a quiet evening. We picked a spot as far away from the common areas as we could. We were so tired, we were confident we'd sleep through anything.

    We fell asleep around 7.30pm and woke up around midnight to what sounded like a fire near our tent. The rain had stopped and all we could hear were loud crackling sounds. We went outside to see what was going on.

    The fire wasn't as close to our tent as we thought, but it was out of control. The aim was to build a tall bonfire, but it crashed towards the nearby try and burnt much of its leaves. We only saw the real damage the following morning.

    Shower log - the showers were spatious, with wooden separators and as much warm watter you wanted. However the building itself was more of a shelter, the walls did not go all the way up. So it was quite windy and cold inside.

    There was a festival in the camping and the people got very drunk. They underestimated how big the bonfire will get and when they realized it was too late. Not sure if the tree will ever recover.
    Read more