Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    Vancouver at last

    September 14, 2018 in Canada ⋅ ☁️ 59 °F

    It all started with a Hurricane, Florence, that set a path directly towards the Carolina coast, due to hit the day we were to fly out. Our trip turned into a logistical race, with Dale boarding up the house while I changed travel arrangements to drive to Atlanta for 6 hours, stay at a pet friendly hotel and then board the dog and cat. We couldn’t fit 4 adults, large suitcases, backpacks, dog (Dunbar) and cat (Moon) into my Murano, so Dale and Reinhart drove separately in a well used Jeep with the pets while Josie and I breezed along in my nice car.

    Somewhere around 600,000 people evacuated that day. Did mention that it was a mandatory evacuation, due to a Category 2+ hurricane heading our way?

    Along the way, the jeep developed cooling problems, so Dale and Rein (age 90) had to drive with the heat on on this hot, humid day, so that the car wouldn’t overheat.

    We made it to Atlanta, took the pets to a PetSmart Pet Hotel where they will spend 10 days in luxury. The jeep will be at the dealer while we are gone and my pet-and-jeep-knowledgeable brother will be the emergency contact for both.

    We have flown to Vancouver to await our cruise at the very nice Marriott Parq, staying until Sunday.
    Read more