Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Back to Lima and on to Paracas

    September 23, 2016 in Peru ⋅ ☁️ 16 °C

    Well, we arrived at our hotel after another crazy taxi drive through Lima. They are either really awful drivers, or amazing, because so far we haven't seen an accident, which astounds me when you watch the traffic weaving. To drive here you need to have an amazing sense of awareness and just be brave...or perhaps have a death wish!

    After arriving at the hotel and admiring/chuckling at the very erotic Inca pottery they have on display (we had heard about this from Jess and Anthony, they weren't lying), we asked where we could get some food so late and were directed to a burger house. It opened out on to the street and smelt great. Here I used some pretty successful Spanish to order for us all. The guy taking the order seemed to appreciate my effort and at the same time I think also found it quite amusing. We got what we wanted though! Three huge delicious burgers!

    Back at the room, after eating, we decided to check out the shower. After 5 days of cold showers (don't get me wrong they were necessary and wonderful at the time) it was so, so, sooooo good, to get a nice steaming hot shower!

    We enjoyed a lovely morning lie in compared to the 5:30 jungle starts and went to check out breakfast. There were bread rolls as always, and the bread here is delicious, so so yummy and so so cheap! There was also some chicken, egg, ham, cheese and then lots of juicy fruit, which over here is extra sweet and yummy. They also seem to like fresh made yoghurt drinks in a morning, I enjoyed the most strawberry tasting one with breakfast and wished I could bottle it to take with me.

    Back in the room, we were hit by the realisation that all of our clothes are extremely stinky....apparently sweating all day and only having cold river water to wash clothes in does not bode well for odour. My wash pile is huge and we had no time for laundry (definitely can't do this in the sink) so we had a bit of a mad dash to the shops for new clothes before leaving for our bus.

    On our shopping trip, we were surprised when we were not allowed in at first. Apparently, rich shoppers get the store to themselves for the first two hours, so we had to rush even more than we thought after having to mull for an hour before we could go in. We waited in McDonald's (of course) and had morning drinks listening to the totally morning appropriate house and trance music that they seem to love here so much.

    Finally got some clothes and Rob got new trainers, he was a little too attached to the 8 year old ones he had brought with him and sad when after much persuasion (and demanding) by me, he had to chuck them away, but I have to say my nostrils were thankful....no one should own shoes for that long!
    We power-walked back down the long street, trying to make sure we didn't get run over every time we crossed the road...pedestrians have to be brave too, and got to the hotel with a few minutes to spare before check out.

    They arranged a taxi to get us to the bus station and we ended up with a lovely driver who's Spanish name I cannot remember, but the English equivalent is William. He was really chatty, loved his sport and told us a fair bit about his country and what not to miss. To top it all off he also decided to help us with our tickets and came into the station to help us navigate the place. We skipped the queue (elders perks he said) and he got us the tickets, showed us to the baggage drop and found out which gate we should be at before giving us all a hug goodbye and wishing us well. So glad he did as it was quite a confusing place and not much there to help tourists out, which is surprising for a bus station that travels the whole country.

    On to the bus...well, England need to take a leaf from Peru's book when it comes to buses as well as supermarkets. Tons of leg room, seats that recline loads (like 60 degrees!) hot meals and drinks served to you, a cushion and blanket provided and even a leg rest! Whaaaat!??
    Oh and Tvs too (and this wasn't even VIP class). We watched Kindergarten Cop and London has Fallen, which considering kids were on board, the latter may not have been appropriate.

    The views out the window were very contrasting to the city and the jungle. Lots and lots of sand and dunes as far as the eyes could see. The way out of Lima had some favella like communities on the hills of the outskirts and then all you saw were lots of half built, small, flat roofed breeze block houses, dotted about the vast sandy desert, with only the odd one looking lived in. The sea was to the right of us almost the whole way there and the waves were huge and looked beautiful as they kept breaking, the sun beginning to set behind them.

    Closer to Paracas there was a bit more farmland and a mix of machinery and donkey towed ploughs, depending on where you looked. The views didn't cease and we were pretty gutted to see that we would arrive after sunset, as a photo from the bus does it no justice at all. The layer of dust that hung in the air made the sun appear as a glowing pink orb as it went down and I have never seen anything like it except on TV. Absolutely beautiful.

    We found our hostel after a two minute taxi ride for a pound (yes we all felt lazy) and after being pestered by the lady next door trying to sell us a tour (we had already arranged one we kept saying), we went to find some more yummy food for dinner.

    After a short wander, we walked past a small bar/grill and the smell more than anything made us stop to take a look. The grill was going on the street at the entrance, with some beautiful looking and fantastic smelling meat, so we decided to give this place a try. No regrets! The steaks of pork and beef and Richards chicken were delicious, so so juicy! Rich had a nice strawberry daquari with his and my goodness was it strong. Felt like brandy the way it warmed your throat! We finished up our meal and enjoyed our drinks to some Lynyrd Skynyrd that had been turned up loud...good times.

    And now sleep time, up early for a tour in the Morning!
    Read more