Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 57

    Oh what a beautiful morning!..oh..wait..

    November 11, 2016 in New Zealand ⋅ 🌧 11 °C

    Urgh 😔😩🙁😫😣 so much rain!!!!! Rain, rain, rain and fog. Just what you want at 5am when your day plan is to hike the Tongariro Alpine Crossing. This is a walk we have looked forward to since before we set off and it is just our luck that this rain isn't even due to leave tomorrow, which would be our last opportunity. I feel like all I have done is listen to the rain pattering on the roof for hours through the night, just hoping it might ease.

    But here we are at 8am and still it rains. Fortunately we are cosy and warm in the camper with a pre made breakfast...unfortunately I could no longer put off the task of task of braving the rain for the toilet 😔 it is unpleasant. The rain is coming from every angle and the fog means you cannot even tell that Mordor is just in the distance. On a good day the walk gets freezing and windy so on a day like this it would be silly to go. Fortunately the campsite bus does not make you pay to cancel a booking if you decide you don't like the look of the weather (unlike others), they also won't go themselves if they think it is bad so probably couldn't have anyway.

    As the forecast is rain tomorrow too, and this is the same for Mt Taranaki (the lonely mountain that we also really wanted to see) we are, I think, just going to head to Wellington instead. We will just have to put this on the list of places to return to!

    I am now going to try and get Rob to wake up from his cosy cocoon!
    Read more