Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 158

    Frisbee golf then off to Te Anau

    February 20, 2017 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 30 °C

    This morning we made friends with a cute campsite cat, mainly because I was locked out the car with no dollar for a shower, so he kept me company. Very cute and reminded us a bit of Pluto.

    For the morning we decided to chill out in Queenstown again before heading to Te Anau in the afternoon.
    We decided that as we didn't get chance yesterday we would go for a round of Frisbee golf in the Queenstown Gardens. We hired the Frisbees (much more solid than normal ones), picked up a scorecard and set off on the course.
    Such a gorgeous day to play and the pine trees all over were a welcome relief from the sun. The aim is to get the Frisbee into a metal basket that contains chains hanging down which help to catch and stop the Frisbee. As in golf each basket has a par and there are plenty of obstacles in the way, mainly trees!

    Rob is a better thrower than me we learnt, however his Frisbees seem to love hitting trees and wandering down into the lake! Not sure how it happened but we were not at all close to the Lake and Robs just flew right towards it, right over the footpath (fortunately no one was walking) and straight into the lake. Haha!!

    I laugh but during round two I suffered the same fate on a different basket, mine didn't really fly into the lake so much as roll down the steep hill and into it. Same end result! A wet Frisbee.

    We loved playing, it's really good fun and a great way to enjoy the gardens. We opted to grab lunch and have another game as we enjoyed it so much.

    We headed to Ferg Burger again and joined the predicted queue. Wasn't as long as before which was good. We enjoyed the delicious burgers by the lakefront in the sunshine before heading for another round.

    Funnily enough we both did worse the second time so clearly the practice didn't help. I believe we both got 9 on a par 3 due to Frisbees hitting trees and rebounding down hills!

    Just driven to Te Anau now which was pretty much a straight line through hills with lots of sheep, cows and deer. We also saw an eagle that got taken out by a telephone line mid flight. It spun like a cartwheel where is must have clipped it and made us both gasp a bit in concern. Luckily it continued to fly, was probably more embarrassed than anything 😀

    Off for a lakeside stroll here now before dinner and sleep in preparation for our early start and tour of Milford Sound tomorrow. We are going with a small tour so Rob at least won't miss the scenery driving.
    Read more