Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 48

    Solid As A Rock

    July 3, 2016 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 30 °C

    So we may be in the middle of nowhere with nothing but a few shrubs around, but actually this place is kinda cool.

    This morning we went on the ranger walk down to the 4,500 year old petroglyphs (aka rock paintings). As always this things might be a little hard to see/comprehend but they are amazing to see the first pictures man drew. Life was hard here and they all suffered iron deficiency yet they gave up a serious amount of animal bone marrow to make paint to draw these crazy pictures on the walls. They don't know if they were stoned or trying to communicate or frighten others, but these half man half animal depictions are pretty impressive even now. On the way back we captured one of those circle of life moments with a snake swallowing a still squawking frog.

    Despite the 40C heat we took the bikes out to see some more rock art, albeit it from the top and other side of the canyon but the old Indian dudes had thought about this so drew a 10ft puma. At that point our canyon meets the Rio Grande, and the other side is the land Trump hates so much.

    After immediate cold showers the rest of the day was occupied by trying to find any tiny patch of shade we could. Even though the a/c has been on in the van for hours it's still 35c in there although weirdly that feels cool!

    So from being a mile or two from the border we now have a month to drive 1,500 miles across to the other border to get to Yellowstone in time for our booking (yes, you heard me right - we are actually organised for a change as it books solid months in advance), and they back again! One advantage of being out in the sticks is the stars are fantastic and we've seeb the milky way the past few nights. Looking forward to the mountains though...
    Read more