Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 315

    Gut Feeling

    March 27, 2017 in Mexico ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    I was laid out for a day with my stomach problems and then we had a couple more days finishing off the dental treatment, but we were lucky it was such a nice town to hang around, and a fantastic campsite where we met so many wonderful people.

    Eventually we got on the road and finally left San Cris, albeit with a sense of deja vu as we headed back towards Comitán (where we broke down a week previous). We did our final stock up at Walmart and cruised on to Lagos De Colón (I guess because the myriad of lakes and rivers looks a bit like your guts?).

    We drove past a lake crowded with people and shops, through a few shallow fords, and found a fantastic camp spot by a gorgeous, crystal clear gurgling brook. As we were sleeping in our car they only wanted one dollar for parking, rather than the 5 bucks if we had a tent?!

    In the morning we checked out the archeological site, which had renovated (rather than restored) structures resulting in some pretty unique droopy pyramids. There was something special about the site, and we decided if we were ancient Mayans this would be where we lived!

    It was only a small site so we were finished early, and we headed straight back to our previous camp spot where we whiled away the day alternating between the hammock and stream. It was so hot Maya even had her first self-initiated swim, and we felt like proud parents! This place was truly blissful.
    Read more