Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 627

    Monkey Business

    February 2, 2018 in Ecuador ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    After our second dip in the pools we decided we really needed to get back on the road so leaving Banos behind us we descended on the eastern side of the Andes down towards the amazon jungle. On the way we stopped when we saw another overlander vehicle parked up by a lovely clear river and spent an enjoyable evening with Todd & Alex from Oregon. In the morning we visited the amazing Devil's Cauldron waterfalls before heading on down the windy an tunnely (definitely should be a word) mountain road.

    Unsurprisingly it got very hot and sticky very quickly. We'd already visited the amazon proper on our last trip and didn't think Elvis was very well suited to the climate, plus after a year+ of hot and sticky I was already missing the fresh mountain air, so we didn't spend long down low.

    We did find a fantastic animal rescue place. There was no-one of the door so our first encounter was with a very friendly little monkey who just wanted to hold our fingers. Delving a little deeper in we found many more of the cheeky chappies, not least 2 guys that jumped down from above and took a particular liking to Jo's shoulders!

    I was happy as we were soon climbing again and before I knew it we were back up at 4,000m in the gorgeous Sangay NP. There was uproar when they originally built the road through it, but there was practically no traffic on it and I was very happy that they did. We eventually came to rest beside a smattering of gorgeous high altitude lakes with the clouds rolling in. I just love landscape and climates like this.
    Read more