Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 629

    Ingapirca

    February 4, 2018 in Ecuador ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    On the way down to Cuenca we stopped for a night at Ingapirca, an archilogical site. Although we spent the previous day and noon a cloud we woke to a glorious morning and we could see the amazing ruins spread out in front of us.

    There was an English speaking guide included in the $2 entrance fee (I love Ecuador!) and it really brought the place alive.

    It was originally settled by the Cañari people, who worshipped the moon and made their buildings out of river stones. Then along came the Incans, and usually for this part of the world there wasn't a lot of bloodshed and both lived happily alongside each other. The Incans worshipped the sun, so built a sun temple mirroring the moon one at the other end of the site.

    The Incans have incredible stone working skills and made there walls by making the rocks fit perfectly together, negating the need for any mortar. Their architectural skills where also amazing - they built 4 recesses into the walls which housed golden statues and each one lit up on a solstice or key date. This then dictated everything about daily life, from planting to harvesting and even when to wash your clothes. Our guide still believes that if you wash clothes more than 5 days after the new moon they will wear out much quicker!
    Read more