Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Sydney

    September 15, 2018 in Australia ⋅ 🌬 30 °C

    We arrive at Sydney Domestic Airport and put our bags in the airports baggage storage. Next we buy a couple of Opal cards so we can catch the train into the city. $35 on each card should be enough we are told. On the train we wonder if we were entitled to a seniors discount but too late now. We get off at Wynyard Station and walk around the shops on George Street and the World Square. For the past year or two we have been negotiating disrupted traffic in Canberra due to the installation of the light rail system, well Sydney is going through something similar with George St closed off as rail tracks are laid.
    We sat down for a coffee on Pitt Street and notice several massage shops and a hotel with hourly rates. Lovely area.
    We had earlier walked past a KFC and with KFC it’s a bit like reliving your childhood. Many people remember eating KFC in the 70’s thinking it was delicious. Well every couple of years we give it a try only to be disappointed by the undercooked oily fast food that usually ends up in the bin. One exception was KFC at Broken Hill, not too bad. Anyway we purchased 3 pieces, 2 for me and 1 for MDW. At least it was not oily, it was as dry as old leather and tasted the same. Maybe if I want to relive my childhood I should buy a Scaleletric Set.
    Late afternoon we caught the train back to the airport, swiped our Opal cards for the final time and were left with 39 cents credit on each card. I question how the balance could odd!
    We only had to sit at the airport for a couple of hours before checkin time then went through customs, MDW decided to stop being difficult and removed her bangles. MDW said she took them off because she was sick of being woman handled by customs staff.
    We settle down in bay 31 and I start watching the footy on the iPad. With 5 minutes to go in the match, Cronulla having a one point lead we had to board.
    Come on Penrith!
    Read more