Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Salzburg, Austria

    September 12, 2022 in Austria ⋅ ☀️ 70 °F

    We left Vienna with a slight drizzle. We ate, on the road with McDonald's breakfast. I know. Don't judge.
    Our destination today is Salzburg. A beautiful city that is separated by the Salzach River. I just cannot believe it has been 25 years since we last visited this beautiful and pristine city.
    If you are a fan of the Sound of Music movie, you will remember the house on the lake. We are staying on the grounds of that great house. I can see Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer walking on the back patio when the kids come to the house from the lake. Most of the kids fell into the lake. In the movie, the front of the house and the back of the house actually come from different great houses.
    We immediately went to the top of a mountain and began shooting pics back across the city to include the massive fort. With that task completed, we dropped the ladies off in old Town while Bruce and I looked for parking. Big mistake. It took us 45 mins to find a place. We found d a restaurant just off the main square and ate pizza and spaghetti. Great meal.
    We then set out to find the Chappell where it is said that the song Silent Night was written. It is just a 45 min drive from Salzburg. It is located in the town of Laufen, Germany. Wonderful story and setting.
    We returned to take some nighttime shots of Fortress Hohensalzburg, sitting on the top of a mountain, overlooking the city of Salzburg, as well as Schlosd Leopoldskron (the main house in the Sound of Music.
    Another glorious day.
    Read more