Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Ludwig's Palace

    September 13, 2022 in Austria ⋅ ☀️ 59 °F

    We started our day by having breakfast in the most beautiful setting on the second floor of the Von Trapp house (not really, just the one in the movie). It was quite a spread of great food and the dinning room was something to behold.
    Twenty five years ago, we visited Mirabel Gardens. It was here that Julie Andrew's sang, "Do, Re, Me" while dancing around the gardens with the Von Trapp kids. We visited it again and it was just as charming.
    Kim, in order to honor our Twenty five years of traveling, wrote new lyrics to the song, "My Favorite Things." While in the gardens, the four of us performed the song. Yes, Bruce and Linda sang along. What was interesting was the number of tourists that stopped and encouraged us with huming and nodding along with our singing. We will not be quitting our day jobs. LOL
    We left Salzburg headed to Linderhof Palace. I have not mentioned this before, but all of Europe has the most beautiful landscapea. And, Germany is no exception, especially Bavaria.
    We have never visited Linderhof before and we werea looking forward to visiting a new castle designed by King Ludwig II. He designed several, however three that are closely associated with him are Hohenschwangau, Neuschwanstein, and Linderhof.
    I was not prepared for its beauty and size. The castle was built in the splendor of the French Palace Versailles but it is simply the smallest I have seen.we were not allowed to take pics or video inside, so I cannot show you, but I was impressed. And Iam rarely impressed with the insides of Chateaux, palaces, or castles, but this one "blew my mind."
    We toured the grounds, I bought a new hat and we headed to Schwangau, the city at the foot of another of Ludwig's castles, Neuschwanstein.
    We arrived at our hotel and amazement number 2 for the day, you can see the castle from our hotel. I am saddened that is not illuminated at night for us (only during summer months).
    We walked abou 300 meters to a restaurant where we had another fabulous meal with desert.
    I am looking so forward to tomorrow even though it is supposed to rain every hour. Not a problem for us. We make lemonade out of lemons.
    Read more