Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18

    Goodbye Havana

    August 23, 2017 in Cuba ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    My 08:30 call to Eva was not appreciated.

    Despite the fact that the flight was delayed because the airport had to close for a couple of hours...not sure why...I felt it best that we leave at 10:00 to get to the airport. If the reception was anything to go buy then the departure may be worse. However, that wasn't the case. We arrived in the departure lounge very quickly after our hour long taxi journey. It meant that we had 3 hours to wait for the plane to depart.

    In Heathrow at the Virgin Upper Class lounge it would have been ideal, but this wasn't Heathrow by any stretch of your imagination. So we waited.

    The flight to New York was just over three hours and when touching down there was a loud cheer. Not because we had arrived safely but because people could now receive WiFi internet!

    The customary hour queue at immigration even using the new electronic system meant that we were now running low on reserves. Quite frankly Eva was getting very grumpy...no internet as no phone, five hours sleep, long queues and nothing to eat as she couldn't stomach breakfast. Sometimes you just can't win.

    As soon as we arrived back at the Standard, High Line we dropped off our bags at reception and headed straight out for some food.

    A steak was called for to try to get some conversation out of Eva. We dined at Old Homestead Steakhouse.

    It says on their web site....'Combining tradition and elegance, The Old Homestead Steakhouse has been serving the finest cuts of beef in New York City for over a century.'....and it looks as if it is the original carpet.

    http://www.theoldhomesteadsteakhouse.com

    The steak was wonderful but the portions are so big that we went with sharing one.

    So with a 9 ounce steak lying heavy in our stomachs we went off to bed after a very long day.

    On arrival at my room I guessed that it had been raining in France.
    Read more