Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Orchids, A Forest Walk and Cendol

    January 13 in Singapore ⋅ 🌧 29 °C

    Breakfast this morning is back at the Dunman Food Centre. Richard goes back for chicken rice porridge and I have wonton noodle, all washed down with strong, sweet coffee. We decide to hop on a train and explore a random area near some parkland and a reservoir where there are nature walks.

    The train takes us to a stop called Upper Thompson where the houses are opulent and all have off-street parking. We walk along streets with gardens that spill out onto the footpath and through a park with red-trunked palms and encounter some lovely orchids, our first since arriving.

    A suburban street leads to a forest trail. A rustle in the undergrowth caused by a startled creature alerts my attention and I catch a glimpse of something large and rotund disappearing from view. "A pig!" I squeal. I literally squeal. Richard's response is dismissive. We stop along the trail to rest and listen to the forest and google wild animals of Singapore. Along with pigs, there are civets, small deer and saltwater crocodiles. Suddenly Richard is no longer keen to walk along a trail near the water's edge.

    We explore the food options near the station and decide the likelihood of finding value for money in this neighbourhood are probably slim so grab a train heading back towards our hotel and a food centre we have passed on the bus a number of times already.

    The Old Airport Road Food Centre is the largest we've visited so far. There are many choices of items we've not yet come across such as dishes that use various forms of pig intestines, chicken feet, and other ingredients we are unfamiliar with. Richard holds a table while I go to choose the food and I return with a pork and rice dish and a prawn omelette. We are sitting near a stall that serves cendol, a dish I've heard of but never tried before so we decide to share one.

    Cendol is a noodle and shaved ice dish. The noodles are a fine glass noodle flavoured with pandan and so are green. These are served over shaved ice with coconut milk, brown sugar and peanuts. It was a winner.
    Read more