Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 22

    Ruins and Relics, Exploring the Past

    February 1 in Malaysia ⋅ ☁️ 32 °C

    To say that Melaka has a colourful history is to state it mildly. Indications of former occupations can be seen in abundance, once you know where to look. We took a Grab to the district where there are several historic sites in a bit of a cluster.

    Porta de Santiago is the only remnant of the old city wall that remains. Beyond the gate a set of stairs leads to the top of the hill, Bukit Melaka atop which sits the ruins of the Church of Saint Paul. But before we tackle those we head for the Melaka Sultanate Palace Museum. This is a full scale replica of how the original Sultanate Palace would have looked at the time of the Portuguese invasion in the early 16th century. It is home to artefacts that represent different eras since that time. There are costumes, hats, weapons, jewellery, porcelain and dioramas depicting different scenes from history. There is also a recreation of the Royal bed chamber and one of the Sultan’s meeting hall. A fascinating collection and the first entry fee we’ve paid since our journey began.

    We then head for the stairs and climb to the top of the hill.
    Read more