Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Day 6 Azinhaga-VilaNovadeBarquinha

    September 14, 2023 in Portugal ⋅ ⛅ 88 °F

    Day 6 - Azinhaga to Vila Nova da Barquinha. 14 September. Started @ 7:12 am. Finished @ 12:30 pm. 19.4K/12.1m. Walking time 3h35m. 23,012 steps. 870 calories.

    A beautiful morning for a walk! Hated to leave Casa da Portes, but it’s a new day and a new place to go. Left before other 3 pilgrims.

    Walked through Azinhaga, about 800m down the road and for small town had a lot of churches.

    First 9k to Golega it was not the most pleasant walking day due to walking on a busy road with a very narrow dirt shoulder. Had to be very diligent to cars, buses, trucks, semis, big tractors.

    Upon entering Golega, toward the town square, came around the corner to see the church. Another out loud WOW. The inside was surprising - no gold alter but instead had beautiful tiles. Stayed in the square for an unhealthy breakfast of two pastries & double espresso!

    Just as I was leaving Debbie & Andy arrived! We are hoping to meet up in Tomar on Friday. Then as I was crossing the road, exiting the town, ran into Mikola. So the two of us walked together until I turned off in Vila Nova Barquinha.

    Along the way we came across an old palace that was used by the Templar Knights. It was so incredible.

    Photos have captions.

    Thanks for going on the journey. Bom Caminho
    Read more