Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 62

    Ilha Grande

    May 18, 2023 in Brazil ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    This morning, we left our beachside paradise headed for even more paradise on Ilha Grande (Big Island) for the next few days!
    We took a bus to the ferry terminal and then were able to stock up on supplies while we waited for the boat. The boat was a kind of ribbed boat and was quite bumpy (and loud) as we took approx 45min to reach the island. It also didn't have any room for our luggage so we sat with backpacks and luggage on top of us and surrounding us!
    We checked into our hotel and then the majority of the group decided to do the hike through the bush to Lopes Mendes, one of the best beaches on the island.
    We hiked up, over and across the mountains included needing to take off our shoes to cross some water channels and even use ropes to descend down rocks!
    We got to Lopes Mendes for a fantastic view, however the beach was closed due to rough surf.
    Most of the group decided to chill out and catch a water taxi back to the hotel, however we decided to make the most of the nice weather and hike back. The hike back was harder because it was more uphill and we were more tired however we made it back just in time before it got too dark!! (We love a good challenge!) The hike ended up taking us around 4.5 hours in total (around 16km).
    We then relaxed by the hotel pool and showered before heading out for a group dinner.
    Tonight’s dinner was a pasta dish, Sorrentos, an Argentine ravioli style pasta. The reason it is Argentine is because the island was inhabited by Argentines and hence their cuisine is the local favourite. We had Sorrentos stuffed with blue cheese and walnuts with a beef sauce and for desert we had a delicious brownie with ice cream and dulce de leche to share! Gab had a big glass of red wine and Daniel had a capriniha. After dinner, we headed back to the hotel.
    Read more