Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 72

    Spurs v Leeds

    May 28, 2023 in England ⋅ ☁️ 15 °C

    We left Louise’s place in London on route to Edinburgh via Leeds for the football and final match day of the Premier League!
    After an early bus which we missed, a fallen down tree which blocked the road for our Uber and a delayed train at Kings Cross, we arrived at Leeds around 3pm. It was around 2.5 hours on the train from Kings Cross to Leeds and, although we had prebooked so we had assigned tickets, the train was so packed that we stood the whole way near the door. It was very hot in carriage as the heating wasn't working but at least we made friends with an English couple from Leeds and chatted quite a bit. We were happy to arrive and we dropped off our bags at a hotel with baggage storage and walked to Elland Road Stadium with the rest of the Leeds fans.
    We entered through our hospitality area to a fantastic bar and food area where we were able to get some food (including a delicious pie) before the match as part of our package. We had booked tickets in a hospitality area for Leeds fans because it would have been next to impossible to play other tickets especially for the last match for the season!
    We then went to our seats and luckily enough were sitting right next to the Spurs fans - not that Daniel was able to cheer for them as we were sitting in the Leeds section (our tickets and the hospitality section explicitly said we were not allowed to wear Spurs clothes or cheer for Spurs!)
    The game started great for Spurs, scoring an early goal whilst Leeds were still asleep but then the rest of the half was very even with plenty of chances for both teams.
    We grabbed a halftime pint and some more food before going back to our seats for the second half, where Tottenham started brilliantly with an early goal. The Leeds fans were given a little bit of hope with a goal mid way through the half, only to be cancelled out with another Spurs goal almost immediately off the kickoff.
    There was then a pitch invader late in the game, and if that wasn’t enough excitement, Lucas Moura scored a goal for Tottenham with his final touch with a brilliant individual goal.
    After the game, we walked back toward the station, picked up our bags and boarded a train to York (about 20 minutes from Leeds) and then changed for a train to Edinburgh (about 2 hours). It was a lovely ride - although there were quite a few people drinking and singing on the train (it's also a public holiday in the UK tomorrow), we managed to have seats on the ride.
    We arrived in Edinburgh at around 11:30pm and checked into our hostel around midnight for a much needed sleep after we climbed onto our bunk beds which were the second and third bunks (yes, these were three high bunk beds) in a room full of 18 people sleeping!
    Read more