Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 81

    Iceland! 🇮🇸

    June 6, 2023 in Iceland ⋅ ☁️ 8 °C

    We said goodbye to Harefield and got on a bus to Heathrow. Unfortunately, there was no upgrade to business class this time so we did a quick call home before boarding the plane.

    We arrived in Keflavik, Iceland around 4pm and the change in temperature was very noticeable - below 10 degrees and cloudy! We then went to pick up our camper van which would be our mobile home for the next week as we explore this island nation. We did all the paperwork for the van and we were off, driving on the right (but wrong!) side of the road! One of Daniel’s bucket list items was to drive overseas so he enjoyed himself as we drove towards the capital, Reykjavik.

    We parked the car and made our way to our ‘midnight sun’ whale watching experience (the tour was around 2hrs long from 8pm-10pm). We were kitted up with one-piece warm and waterproof (and very attractive!) suits before boarding our ribbed boat. The seats on the boat were very unique as they had suspension so were able to take some of the bounce of the boat as it jumped through the waves. We first made our way to puffin island where we saw many puffins and other birds before heading out to the deeper seas to try to spot some whales. Unfortunately, the whales didn’t want to come out to play but we did manage to see some dolphins plus the experience of the ribbed boat made it worthwhile! Though, it was very cold out on the water with the wind!

    We arrived back on land and went to get a traditional Icelandic hotdog and fries for dinner to warm up! We also explored some of the capital and went down Rainbow Street and bought a couple of things from the corner shop for our first day.

    We then drove to our campsite and went to sleep past midnight, with the sun still well and truly up - refer to the last photo!
    Read more