Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 155

    Kotor

    August 19, 2023 in Montenegro ⋅ ☀️ 26 °C

    If yesterday was all about the seaside of Kotor, today was certainly the other side of Kotor - the mountains!

    We started reasonably early to hike up the ‘ladder of Kotor’ which is essentially a zig zag path that goes to the top of the mountains of Kotor. We hiked an incredible 950m of elevation, as well as 16km up and down, including a lunch stop in the middle.

    The views were incredible both up and down and photos just could not do it justice! We even made friends with the local goats! The restaurant at the top was beautiful and the view over Kotor was insane, we even saw a plane taking off below us from the airport which was very cool! We both had a well earned pasta before commencing our decent down.

    We had many great chats throughout the hike, but unfortunately our 5 month streak of no rain whilst outside doing activities finally came to an end as we were nearing the bottom! A small storm hit and we took shelter under a nearby tree, but the storm had passed so quickly (and it was still humid) that we were pretty much dry by the time we got back to the hostel.

    We chilled at the hostel for a bit before heading out to see ‘Boka Night’ in Kotor. This is a yearly festival where decorated boats are paraded along the main harbour and the one with the most votes wins. There is also a DJ and other stalls etc operating. There were lots of people around but unfortunately just as the boats were coming out at 9pm, a massive thunderstorm hit and most people ran for cover away from the harbour! The boats managed one lap but then the storm seemed to take out the power as the lights went off and we could no longer hear the DJ. We had braved the wet much longer than most and so decided to get back to the hostel before it got even heavier, which it did once we were back! Completely soaked, we dried off at the hostel, watched some more of the storm and went to bed. Around midnight, we woke up to the sound of fireworks over the bay which were short lived but looked nice!
    Read more