Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 191

    Munich

    September 24, 2023 in Germany ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    After a better sleep than the night before (thank you German beer!) we headed out on a day of sightseeing in Munich.

    We used the same self-guided walking tour website we had previously used to explore Munich. We started at Karlsplatz before heading into the old town of Munich passing many old churches and the traditional beer houses. We went past the Hofbrauhaus, the one we had gone to last night and learnt some very interesting history regarding the oldest beer house. In 1920, Adolf Hitler attended a meeting with other would-be Nazi party members where he presented his 20 point plan of the ‘final solution’ to Jews - more commonly known as the holocaust. Annual Nazi events were then held at the hofbrauhaus until the end of WWII.

    We then went to the old town square, Marienplatz, where we watched the intricate Glockenspiel. This is a clock which has some moving components that rotate at midday each day for approx 10min for a fantastic show. We were then able to meet up with Amy again and met her cousin, Lisa, whom Amy is staying with in Munich. We enjoyed a nice change of pace with ramen for lunch in a Japanese restaurant and chatted in the sun before walking through the beautiful English Garden.

    After the garden, we went to see the surfing wave where surfers try to stay on the wave as long as possible in the middle of the park! There was a natural dip in the water which made a wave and then it was further built up with materials to make it even more exciting to surf! Surfers flock here all year around and of course wear body suits in the winter as the river can be freezing! It very cool to watch and chat away in the park in the sun. We said goodbye to Amy, wishing her well for her 6 month stay in Bologna and assuring each other that we would catch up back in Australia.

    We made our way back to the campsite to chill out and make the most of our drinks package!
    Read more