Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    We´re heading (sort of) south!

    January 20, 2018 in Chile ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    After a couple of cosmopolitan days, we´ve decided to go south. Our next stop, where we are renting a (small) car is Puerto Montt.

    Getting to the bus station was incredibly fast & cheap – hurray for Uber in Santiago!

    The bus network in Chile is extensive, and strictly regulated. Moreover, the different seating (and pricing) gives you the opportunity to choose according to your needs. After reading and asking around, we decided to book the “cama” category, and that was definitely the right choice for such a long drive (21:50 – 10:10) – we had more than enough space, in the first floor of the double-deck bus and we even got some (apple) juice and cookies, twice. Once at night, just after leaving, and a second one for “breakfast”. My fist “alfajores” here!

    We managed to get more rest than expected. We were surprised that there were no (long) stops, but rather passenger hop-on hop-off stops with quick driver changes. Moreover, information about the journey including (actual) speed and drivers´ information (time driving) was constantly published, with the invitation to complain if as a passenger you felt he was driving too fast/not appropriately.

    We arrived Puerto Montt and our rental car picked us up as agreed. Thumbs up once more for the services, as they actually suggested it themselves (on a Sunday).
    Read more