Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 59

    The Hermitage

    October 20, 2015 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 70 °F

    We vote for keeping Andrew Jackson on the $20 bill! Post to come.

    This morning we went to the Heritage, the home of Andrew Jackson. The grounds of the Hermitage were a surprise to wander through. Lots of historical information, old buildings, old trees, and even an english garden. There were also some elementary school children in costumes acting as tour guides, giving information about some specific aspect of the grounds. Most important, there was finally a cotton field I could photograph.

    The information center was very informative, covering Andrew Jackson’s life from his being captured by the British in the Revolutionary War to his presidential elections and beyond.

    The cute kids were all over the grounds, giving sweet informative lectures about some subject that they seemed to find interesting. I was especially interested in the lecture about the garden. When we had a question about a plant in the garden, she said she didn’t know, but perhaps her mom knew. We had already had a nice conversation with the Mom. It turns out that her background is in horticulture and flowers.

    And finally! a cotton field! After all those attempts to get a photo of the cotton fields through Virginia, I thought that I would never be able to get one. But here was a small demonstration field. It was even possible to pick a boll and try to get the seeds out of it.

    Then we ended the tour with lunch. Nothing special, but it was late and we were hungry.
    Read more