Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Las Encañizadas, Spain

    January 4, 2022 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 14 °C

    this morning we went for a short hike in the parque natural de las salinas and found "las encañizadas". the "encañizada de la torre" and the "encañizada del ventorrillo" are located next to the islets of the same name in the municipality of san javier.
    encañizada is a way of artisanal fishing used in coastal lagoons. it is based on the migration habits of some fish. they travel between the mediterranean sea and its lagoons. the art of this way of fishing consists of forming circular labyrinths in which the fish enter but do not leave; these labyrinths are built with rods and nets. in this way it is possible to capture some species such as gilthead seabream, mullet and (in lesser quantities) sand steenbras and sole. it's a system that is very localized and selective with the species. this form of fishing is quite old, there is already evidence of its use by the arabs in the middle ages.
    "las encañizadas" lay on the limits of the natural area of salinas and arenales de san pedro del pinatar, between the mar menor and the mediterranean sea. they are the only two that remain installed in spain. in the mediterranean sea there are others - in the bardawil lagoon, off the coast of egypt.
    and not only we detected this art of fishing, but read more in the next entry...
    Read more