Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Flamingos, Spain

    January 4, 2022 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 14 °C

    yesterday i saw flamingos from the street, which of course i had to get to the bottom of today...
    so we went for a short hike in "las encañizadas" (see other entry) this morning - and found the flamingos. of course they stay here because the fish in "las encañizadas" are presented as if they were on a buffet.
    flamingos are found in south, central and north america as well as europe, africa and southwest asia. the only representative of the order whose natural range extends to europe is the greater flamingo (rosaflamingo in german). it occurs on the atlantic coast of spain and portugal as well as along the coastal area of ​​the mediterranean and on some mediterranean islands. so these are "rosaflamingos" 🦩.
    fun fact: while flamingos require muscle strength to stand on two legs, they can balance on one leg with minimal effort. when one leg is lifted, the body's center of gravity shifts over the other leg. an additional "locking mechanism" provides the necessary stability so that balancing on one leg is possible even while sleeping. in theory, this mechanism also works when the bird is dead.
    i think i could use this for yoga... 🤔
    Read more