Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Stauffen im Breisgau

    August 14, 2023 in Germany ⋅ ☁️ 29 °C

    The city of Staufen im Breisgau lies in the district of Breisgau-Hochschwarzwald and has approximately 7,700 inhabitants and forms, together with the community of Münstertal, Black Forest, a community administrative unit.

    It is noted in history and culture for its association with Faust who, according to one source, died in or near Staufen around 1540.

    So when we arrived at the edge of the Black Forest in the early afternoon, we thought about driving through the vineyards to the Vitra Museum. But we only got as far as Stauffen, then we were getting too warm and we drove back into the mountains to the Nonnenmattweiher 🌊🤗.

    So Staufen lies at the foot of the Black Forest at the exit from the Münstertal. The Black Forest valley of Neumagen goes here directly over into the Rhine plain. The piedmont of the Black Forest is less distinct. North of the valley exit, the steeply rising old castle ruins dominates; to the southwest begins the hilly landscape of the Markgräflerland. Staufen lies on the border between two natural and economic areas: the Rhine plain up to the piedmont with its cultivation of grain, vineyards and vegetables; and the Black Forest, with its cattle and wood, and, until the 19th century, silver mines.

    Since 2008, the centre of the city has reported to have risen some 12 centimetres after initially sinking a few millimeters. This has caused considerable damage to buildings in the city centre, including the historical town hall.

    The cause for this geological change has been identified as a drilling operation conducted in the summer and autumn of 2007 to provide geothermal heating to the city hall. By 2010, some sections of town had risen by 30 centimetres. In July 2013, no end to the rising process was in sight.

    But we mainly were interested in the cake 🍰 and coffee ☕️ of the coffee roastery Eschbach ❤️❤️❤️.
    Read more