Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 43

    Cattedrale di Palermo

    February 24 in Italy ⋅ ☁️ 14 °C

    The Cathedral of Maria Santissima Assunta (Most Holy Mary Assumed into Heaven) in Palermo is the cathedral of the Archdiocese of Palermo of the Roman Catholic Church in the ecclesiastical region of Sicily. It is close to the Norman Palace.

    The current building was built in 1184/1185 in the Norman-Arabian style and underwent several renovations over the centuries. Due to its first construction period, it is also known as the Norman Cathedral.

    The cathedral is of particular importance for Germany as the graves of the Staufer emperors Henry VI, Frederick II and Queen Constance of Sicily are located there.

    Anyone who has the time and the entrance fee can visit the treasury. The entrance to the treasury is to the right of the Chapel of Saint Rosalia. Liturgical vestments in particular are exhibited in the treasury.

    The showpiece of the collection is a crown that was modeled on the crown of the Byzantine emperors (Kamelaukion). The side pendants (pendulums) are characteristic. Frederick II gave this crown to his wife, Constanze of Aragon, with her tomb.

    I didn't have enough time for it because the puppet theater on the other side of the road called 🤪.
    Read more