Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 43

    Opera dei pupi teatro Argento

    February 24 in Italy ⋅ ☁️ 12 °C

    The Opera dei pupi teatro Argento is a small theater of the Sicilian pupeteer tradition. It is owned by the Argento family, hosted in Palazzo Asmundo, in the heart of the historic center, opposite the Cathedral of Palermo.

    The Argento family, master puppeteers since 1893, has been disseminating the history and art of Sicilian Pupi for five generations. The last remaining artisans, in their theater you can observe the canvases painted by their ancestors.

    It is also possible to watch the making of the puppets in the laboratory located in Corso Vittorio Emanuele, 445.

    The Sicilian Puppet Theater of the Argento Family, still today, stages the works of the paladins of France and many original shows, inspired by the tradition and stories of Sicily.

    We watched a performance this evening and it was very funny, the children jumped up and down to the drum beats.

    The patrone, whose grandfather and father ran the theater, briefly summarized the history of the theater before the performance began. He's probably 85 years old, but his voice and skill are still going strong.

    After the performance we were allowed to take a quick look behind the scenes. A truly rare experience, how great that this family business can survive 😍❤️.
    Read more