Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Dalí Theatre and Museum

    July 6, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 24 °C

    We woke up early today to get breakfast on a small coffee shop close to the museum which was next to our apartment. Coffee is not a luxury but a basic human need when doing road trips!

    We then arrived at the museum and got a guided tour. Everyone got a newfound appreciation for Dali, which led to a viral trend for the four of us to play with our mustache! 😅😜

    The museum was designed and laid out by Dali himself. His remains are in a crypt on the museum, as he wanted to enjoy the steps of the visitors. The main hall of the museum is based on the seating area of an old theatre that burned down, and where a young Dali showcased his paintings at 14.

    The visit to Portilligat helped all of us to understand his work better. Karina was especially moved as she had been a lifelong fan of Dali, and she enjoyed seeing his works firsthand. There are really unique pieces and spaces in the museum, such as the fly-eye dome, the treasure room, a living room on the head of Mae West, Galatea of the spheres and several pieces of jewelry that he designed himself.

    We ended the tour taking drinks (some PG-13 and some R rated) before leaving towards our next stop: Castell de Sant Ferran.
    Read more