Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Embrace the jetlag

    September 15, 2022 in France ⋅ ⛅ 64 °F

    Despite missing the street art tour, today wasn’t a total bust. We actually got up and out at a reasonable hour, grabbed a pain au chocolat and headed over to Le Jardin des Plantes (botanical garden affiliated with the Sorbonne, adjacent to the Paris zoo). At the far edge of the garden there’s a cool little carousel, the Dodo Manege, which features extinct and critically endangered animals such as the eponymous Dodo, all sporting cute little saddles on their backs. Who wouldn’t want to ride a thylacine? I sure would. Unfortunately the carousel was undergoing repairs so I didn’t get to.

    Then we walked over to the Luxembourg Gardens where we had a picnic lunch and cozied up to various Medici monuments.

    This leads us to the sad part of today when we missed the tour we had booked. See previous post. Two metro rides, two screwed up metro passes, lots of running, and a couple wrong turns = disappointment. Luckily for Jim Morrison we ended up very near his final resting place at Père-Lachaise cemetery so we popped in for a visit. He says hello. Didn’t have any chewing gum with me so I didn’t add to the disgusting stick-your-gum-on-the-tree ritual, nor did I kiss Oscar Wilde’s tomb. Saw zero feral cats. Odd.

    Had dinner at Le Coup de Torchon, an actual French restaurant,.There are tons of them here, way more than at home. Very good food and somehow the bill was far lighter than we expected. As my French is rather sketchy I decided not to argue with the owner about being so dreadfully undercharged. We paid and raced out the door just in case.

    G’night everyone.
    Read more