Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Journey to Cinque Terre

    July 27, 2017 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 81 °F

    Left Florence this morning via train, which ended up running a little late, causing us to miss our connection in Pisa. Wasn't too long a wait, and we ended up making it to Riomaggiore relatively early in the day.

    After hauling our luggage up the stairs to our room (not an easy task, but manageable), we walked around the town. Laura had been looking forward to fried calamari since we landed in Rome, so we made sure to check that one of the list right away.

    We needed to burn that off, and we were both dying for a swim, so we suited up and headed down to the water. It's only rocky beaches in Riomaggiore, so entering and exiting the water is tricky, but once you're in it's fantastic. We swam for a good half hour, and then climbed up some rocks to rest, bask in the sun, and watch the waves break on the rocks. As we got back in the water, my foot started to cramp, I sustained a (minor) cut on my hand, and promptly got stung by a jellyfish, so it was time to get out.

    We headed back to the room, and enjoyed a bottle of wine on the patio before dinner. We hiked up to the top of town to eat dinner at a place with a beautiful view and watched the sun set. Being that we're on the coast, seafood was a must. As we headed back, we stumbled upon a classical music performance, which felt like the perfect end to the night.
    Read more