Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 19

    A visit to the Eden Project

    February 20, 2023 in England ⋅ ☁️ 10 °C

    After saying our goodbyes (for now 😀) to the family last night, we were up early this morning. We packed Bertha and left the loft clean and tidy. We were on the road by 8.30am and arrived at the Eden Project well before our timed 10am entry.

    I can't believe we've never visited the attraction before, given how often we've been to Cornwall in the last 20 years!! 😀

    The Eden Project is the brainchild of Tim Smit. He had the idea while he was restoring the nearby Lost Gardens of Heligan. His vision was to create a place where the hidden connections between people's lives and the living world could be properly explained. He wanted to inspire people to work with nature and with each other to make a positive difference to the world 🌎. To this end, he bought a disused, 60-metre deep clay pit with no soil and gave it life. He and his team produced soil from waste materials (83,000 tonnes in 18 months) and cultivated a huge diversity of plants in giant buildings that drew inspiration from nature. It opened to the public in 2001 and is now one of the most popular visitor attractions in the UK.

    It was a cold, damp morning with plenty of drizzle in the air, so we decided to explore the biomes first in the hope that it would have brightened up by the time we came to do the outside later.
    Read more