Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 17

    Seychelles National Museum

    May 2, 2023 on the Seychelles ⋅ ☁️ 29 °C

    Today, we ventured into Victoria for the final time. It was incredibly hot and humid this morning. The first bus 🚌 that came along was full and sailed straight past. By the time the next one came along, I was melting! It was pretty rammed, and we had to stand to start with. We did get seats, but it was a very uncomfortable ride - too hot, too crowded, and too smelly!! 😀

    In town, we went to buy some euros 💶. Unbelievably, our tour tomorrow has to be paid in cash in euros, and we used the only euros we had (which we have been carrying around for over a year!) to pay for the hire car! We tried a couple of places. Nowhere would take a card, so we had to buy euros with sterling. We lost on the transaction, but we had no choice!

    The expected rain came as we were on our way to visit the National Museum, so we were grateful to get under cover.

    The museum opened in 2018 and is housed in Victoria's restored Supreme Court building, which dates from 1885. It is well laid out with three exhibition rooms downstairs that take the visitor on an informative journey through 300 years of Seychellois history. Upstairs, there are interesting exhibits describing Creole culture, focusing on fashion, food, music, fishing, and architecture.

    We spent an enjoyable couple of hours learning about the history and culture of the Seychelles. Outside, we were ready for a drink, so ended up in the expensive café we went to before! As we left there, the heavens opened, and we had to shelter in the entrance of the post office. As usual here, though, it wasn't long before the rain stopped and the sun came out again!
    Read more