Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    Transfer to our hotel

    May 7, 2023 in South Africa ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    We had organised a taxi transfer to our hotel. Our driver, Norman, started messaging me while we were still on the plane! We liaised while we were going through security and baggage reclaim (all very painless), and, as we emerged from the terminal, he pulled up, ready to drive us to our hotel in Rosebank. Perfect timing!

    Norman was very friendly, and the journey passed quickly. Everywhere looked very familiar - drive on the left, all the signs in English, etc.

    We were a little early for check-in when we arrived at Park Central Hotel and Residence, but the staff were all very friendly and helpful while we were waiting.

    Once our room was ready, we made our way to the 15th floor! Our accommodation is a studio apartment with a Smeg kitchen and plenty of space. The views over the city are incredible!!

    Norman had warned us not to be out after dark, so we just dumped our bags and made our way to the nearest supermarket, which he had helpfully pointed out to us 😀. It's in the Rosebank shopping mall, about a 10-minute walk from here. It was really well stocked, and the prices were very reasonable (especially when compared to Seychelles!). We bought breakfast basics and a roast chicken for dinner.

    It was a sunny afternoon 😎. Everyone we spoke to was very friendly. We felt very safe. Our first impressions of Johannesburg are all positive!
    Read more