Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Mandela's house

    May 11, 2023 in South Africa ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    After our walk, we caught the next bus 🚌 to visit the Apartheid Museum. We were the only passengers! It is winter here, so there are very few tourists about. I don't understand it because the weather (mainly dry and sunny but not too hot) is perfect for sightseeing!The driver was great, going slowly past notable landmarks so that we were able to take photos.

    One such landmark is the house that Nelson Mandela lived in between 1992 and 1998. He was there while he was president and entertained many famous people there, including Michael Jackson, Oprah Winfrey, and Bill Clinton.

    The house is located in the leafy district of Houghton, an upmarket area where the city's randlords (early pioneers who made their fortunes from gold mining) built their mansions away from the dust and dirt of downtown Johannesburg.

    Nelson Mandela's house is now a hotel called Sanctuary Mandela. Nelson insisted that all the staff be trained in the art of storytelling so that they can entertain guests with tales about him and the history of South Africa 🇿🇦.

    We also saw the house where Mandela died in 2013. Huge crowds gathered outside at the time to mourn and to give thanks for his life.
    Read more