Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Our first camp

    May 14, 2023 in South Africa ⋅ ☀️ 26 °C

    We arrived at Skukuza Lodge Campground at around 4.30pm. It is a huge campsite, catering mainly for South African tourists, many of whom set up camp here for several months at a time.

    There were some amazing units – overlanding vehicles and purpose-built campervans, the like of which we have rarely seen before.

    We found a spot and quickly got to work putting our tents up for the first time. We didn’t have much light left. The tents are dome tents with the frame on the outside. They are very easy to erect, so we were soon finished.

    René then took us to show us where the shower blocks were (very clean and well-maintained), as well as the campsite shop where we could buy essentials. It was the best campsite shop I’ve ever seen! We had a quick look around and bought some drinks, vowing to return for a longer browse and to take photos of the whole campsite the next day. In the event, we never had time to do this!

    Ivan had dinner ready for us all by 7pm. He prepared chicken, stir-fried vegetables, and rice. It was all delicious! Most of us turned it in shortly after dinner – the very early start had caught up with us!
    Read more